Sunday, December 27, 2009

Chicken anyone?











Since my latest obsession has not arrived yet (it is a Sunday after all) and I have to work this evening, I am planning (and I use the word planning in the loosest possible way) to make a chicken dish. I haven't decided what it will be but am certain it will most likely have onions and garlic. I will name it after it is born. As with all of my children, I will surely have too see what it looks like before giving it a name. I remember once when I cooked a meal my husband (unless otherwise specified from here on out any reference to "my husband" shall refer to husband number 2, and unless specifically mentioned, let's just pretend husband number one AKA the defendant never existed)...anyway back to my story, I had the duty of preparing a meal for my lovely husband. I really didn't feel much like cooking so I took all of the left overs in the fridge and threw them in a caserole and sprinkled it with cheese. My husband was enamored with this creation and asked what it was called. With the finest of cheesy fake french accents I replied "I call it dinner". And so, dinner was served.
I will update you after the birth of my chicken baby, but for now, must get cooking. And uh, when is the cleaning fairy going to visit my house? Must be she has been blogging too much!

Ok, I'm back and only too pleased to give an update on my dish. Here is a overview of the recipe and when I figure out how to do it, I will post pictures of this lovliness.
Three pounded out chicken breasts one side dusted with italian bread crumbs, each inside topped with three thin slices of hard salami, asiago cheese (three slices with a vegetable peeler makes the perfect size) and two leaves of fresh basil. Roll up and brown in frying pan then place in oven at 380 (just a number I happen to pick) for about 35 minutes. I actually use a thermometer and cook until between 165 and 170. I also browned in a cast iron fry pan which was then easily popped into the oven to finish cooking. Mean while, I used my cast iron dutch oven for creating a sauce to die for. Start with about 2Tbsp of butter and about the same of olive oil and brown 1/2 yellow onion and three large cloves of garlic, then add about 2 and 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth, bring to simmer. I then added white cooking wine about a cup and continued to simmer about 5 minutes before placing 5 chopped roma tomatoes and about 1/2 cup heavy cream into the pot. By this time it tastes so good I want to swim in a vat of the stuff.
Lastly I thickened the sauce with 1 rounded tablespoon (the kind from the silverware tray, not the measuring type) in 1/2 cup water, add to simmering pot until thickened (you really have to stir quickly here to avoid clumping, and remove from heat as soon as it is mixed in well.)
Serve the sauce over the chicken for a darling, darling meal. I think one could easily substitute mushrooms for the tomatoes. So....a name, I am still thinking.

I was able to post the pix, not exactly in chronological order, but if you can't figure out the sequence, chances are you aren't going to be making this dish. Any suggestions for a name?

2 comments:

  1. "Drool-worthy Chicken" sounds about right. Or perhaps "Sounds So Good I Peed My Pants Chicken"? It's somewhat similar to the chicken dish I used to make with prosciutto & cheese only you totally took it to new levels. The salami, the asiago, the SAUCE...I really have peed myself. Oy. Mama gave us a dutch oven for xmas (an orange one!) with a matching serving platter and 4 mini platters. I am so going to be trying this dish, girlfriend. Man, I wish you lived close by - you and I could cook our little hearts out together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fond of So Good I Peed my Pants Chicken. If I end up making a cookbook, I think that is a winning name. I would buy a cookbook with recipes titled as such, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete