Monday, January 4, 2010

Duck Duck no goose

Well, as my plans yesterday were ammended due to weather, the duck I had defrosted and had ready to roast in the oven adapted to the situation as well. Rachel made it to her room to begin her stay in Ithaca. It was snowing fairly heavily here and as I had noted the day before it seems they have more snow and don't seem to plow their roads as promptly as our road crews...so, we loaded the van with another load of "stuff" (I seriously do not know how that girl has packed so many belongings into one small room!), and drove her back over the hill. So...yeah the duck. I honestly didn't know whether I was going to like the duck or not even if I had followed the most rigid of directions. I have had it before and thought "it's okay, I could eat it if I had to", so I wasn't terribly disappointed when I suddenly no longer had hours to spend slaving over something I may or may not even enjoy. So here is what I did:
Placed duck in slow cooker with about 2 cups chicken broth, cooked for about 3 hours on low. Had to drive to Ithaca...turned cooker off. Returned about 5 hours later and placed insert from slow cooker on stove top (if you do this at home be sure that your slow cooker is made especially for this) and brought to slow simmer for about 35 minutes. It looked moist and cooked through, so I removed from heat and Mark carved it, we dipped the breast in the prepackaged orange sauce and I thought "it's okay, I could eat it if I had to". Everything was very moist, but alas, it had a "duck" taste to it that at this point I can really take or leave. I am planning on some point to make the duck pastry with the left overs. Will keep all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment