Friday, January 29, 2010

Rosemary Pork, Split Pea and Ham Soup and Tapioca Pudding






I was looking through the cabinets last night when I got home from work looking for "something". I didn't find anything I really wanted to eat, but did find supplies for dishes I had plan on making and long had forgotten about. So, I pulled out my supplies and set up for a day of cooking today.
One bunch of dried organic rosemary inspired the pork loin dinner for dear Hubby for later. By the way he really LOVED the Honey Chicken. So...here goes the pork loin
In bottom of the lovely le creuset dutch oven place about 1/4 cup of olive oil then four peeled and chopped carrots and one package of whole small white mushrooms (12 ounce). The pork loin is probably a four pound loin cut in half. I crumbled rosemary over the top and cut five slits in each half of the loin and stuffed with garlic cloves. I baked covered at 350 for about one and a half hours and then uncovered and broiled for about five minutes until fat crisped. Internal temp should be 170 when done.
Split Pea and Ham Soup
My personal review on this is it is a little salty, however that said...I do not put salt on ANYTHING. Should I do this again I would cut the chicken broth probably by about a third with water meaning two parts chicken broth one part water.
2 cups dried split peas soaked over night in 2 cups water. (In the morning there was not extra water in the bottom of the bowl.)
One pound thickly sliced ham cut into pieces (left over frozen Christmas ham)
Three cups chicken stock
One can northern white beans
I cooked the broth ham and peas on top of the stove on low heat until the peas sort of liquified. About an hour and a half of simmering. I then added the beans and cooked about another 20-30 minutes. It is very tasty, though just a tad salty for me. Would be great with crusty bread.
Tapioca pudding
In saucepan place 3 cups milk, 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 cup small pearl tapioca and 1/2 cup sugar bring to simmer for about 30-40 minutes stirring constantly and scraping sides to prevent milk from scorching. Tapioca should be almost transluscent when ready to remove from heat. In large bowl whisk two eggs. Slowly mix tapioca mixture into bowl of whisked eggs. I constantly whisked while hubby spooned in the hot mixture. This prevents the hot tapioca mixture from cooking your eggs. Once whisked together I added a tsp of vanilla and placed in the fridge to set up. We will see how it comes out, smelled terrific cooking!
**Just an update on the pudding...a little watery. I would suggest using three eggs instead of two. Very tasty, just I like my pudding a little thicker.
Well, happy eating, and hope all have a great weekend. I have time to sew up a scrub uniform before heading to work! Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment