Thursday, January 14, 2010

Microwave Marinara aka (Julia don't weep for me sauce)


I actually got this idea years ago from my dear hubby's mother. I had experienced a wonderment of a marinara sauce while visiting (I actually think it may have been before I was even married). At any rate, I thought why not try? So try I did and as it turns out, I will certainly be using this recipe again as it is very little mess and takes a fraction of the time as my conventional sauce. And....low and behold dear hubby salivated heavily when he sampled it!


I used a large oval corelle casserole dish (the white ones with the clear lid) In the bottom I placed:

1/4 cup EVOO

one half of a large onion diced

on clove of elephant garlic (about the equal of 4-5 regular cloves)

then added

Three 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes ( I prefer Red Pack)

Three bay leaves

Two tsps salt

Two TBsp sugar

One tsp ground pepper

Two tsp dried oregano

One tsp dried thyme

Two tsp dried sweet basil

I mixed well and cooked for 20 minutes with lid on set at high, removed and stirred well.

Return to microwave and cook for another 20 minutes with lid on and remove and stir well again.

I then zapped it for another 5 minutes with the lid on. That's it. Pretty easy, no constant stirring, no splatter on the stove! I was impressed to say the least, and Julia forgive me, there are times I am in no way going to be able to live up to your loveliness. You see, besides cooking I have many other obsessions such as sewing and playing my banjo. Not to mention I try to hit the treadmill daily, have to clean my mess, and then go to work for 8 hours a day. Oh, and when I think I cannot possibly fit one more thing in my day, I decide to take up blogging. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment